- Communicate with another program
- That other program is usually on another computer
- It is termed a server
Examples of Clients
- Web browser
Examples of Servers
- Web server (httpd)
- File server (e.g. an NFS server)
- A database, e.g. Oracle
This class teaches how to write Perl programs
that are both clients to your database and servers
to your browser.
- Clients and servers can be written in Perl (and many other languages)
- Perl has libraries that can "speak" the HTTP, FTP, and other protocols.
- You could build your own browser or FTP client in Perl if you wanted to.
Name some more client and server programs.
Dan Keller Technical Services © 2000